Sunday, September 23, 2007

How Dude got Saved from the Auction and Upgraded







The next week when I had to get BO to saddle Dude again she swore at him and vowed to take him to the sale barn as he was such a pain in the ass. "Oh noes!! I said, don't take him to the sale barn, sell him to me!!" She didn't think I was serious, but I was. After that week the BO went out of town and we started taking lessons with Katharine. Dude will do anything for Katharine. She has been riding there for 10 years. Katharine got me over my Dude fear on the ground. Riding him was great, too. We started cantering and he did some little tricks with me (half hearted buck, head toss and sharp turn to the left), but after the first time I just rode it out because Katharine said that is the worst he does and I could see through his bluff. He was fun to canter and all. The next Sunday we took a long trail ride. He was great and steady on the trail. He would rather go around water or jump it, but he jumped carefully with me and I stayed on. He didn't seem to mind that I yanked out some of his mane - tee hee. I told Katharine I was serious about buying Dude and she said he couldn't go without Matt as they were so bonded. Matt is one of the oldest and best school masters, but the BO was willing to sell him as he is 21 now and she is always saying she is going to sell all the horses and the barn. So Matt is perfect for my daughter right now and that is working out great! Week after week I worked with Dude and I got to where I could bridle and saddle him. If I lunged him first he was much better. Also, I got a dressage saddle with long billets so it would be easier to get his girth done. He was really FAT this summer. I used a lot of baby carrots on him, too. I got him to be still when I would try to mount by just indicating I was going to lunge him again if he didn't. He's very smart.

No comments: