Thursday, January 3, 2008

Good Times and An Escape

My daughter and I have done several trail rides with Dude and Matt. We have explored and found some really good trails (4-wheeler trails) behind our house along a creek -- very scenic. The paper mill owns the land. There's also a pea-gravel road that is good for trotting and cantering.

Dude has been fabulous for bridling and grooming, including back hooves. He still has to move a little for girthing, but is much, much better. We've settled in to some enjoyable times.

Matt and my daughter went off to camp again this week, so I brought home Dusty Rose, a roan mare, from the Barn where Dude and Matt used to live, to keep Dude company this week. The two of them got up to no good the other day when I let them out to graze in the front yard -- they both RAN out the open gate and toured the neighborhood for awhile until I caught up to them with a feed bucket. You should have seen my face when all I saw was Dude's blanket flapping and the bottoms of his back hooves. I stood there with my mouth open for the longest time because when I let him out usually he just sedately crops the grass. The little mare had him in a frisky mood!

Later that evening when I checked, Dude was lying down. I laughed at him since he must have worn himself out on his little adventure!! Thank God nothing bad happened, but you just never know what (creaky old) horses will do! Dude turned 18 in January, but thinks he is 8.

2 comments:

Redsmom said...

Susan in Idaho said: No harm, no foul. My neighbor's three old quarterhorses run amuck about once per year. They invariably come visit our horses and knock things over around the barn. The sound of a feed bucket rattling brings them to a screeching halt and they follow me back to their own house every time.

We've been lucky that our horses have never escaped, but once when I was leading my old quarterhorse through a gate, he pulled the reins from my hand and ran home like it was the last furlong in the Kentucky Derby.

Redsmom said...

Grassland Farm said: My pony, Star, used to duck under his one-strand electric fence and go visiting, see new sights, check out the feed elsewhere. The cops would bring him home or the neighbor would call, or I would just see him. It didn't happen often, but what a scare when it did.

Dude is coming along!