Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Around the Yard

I've been working hard on cleaning up the yard and pasture, so not much time for riding. The shows are all getting cancelled and moved around because arenas got damaged in the hurricane. The new truck has some kind of electrical problem. I rode Dude around the yard the other day; around cones and all. He flexes well to the right, but not too well to the left. Matt was cross tied so I tried riding Dude out onto the road. He went exactly to the property line both ways. No farther. I didn't make him go more. We'll try to get farther next time.

I started Dude on a magnesium supplement that is supposed to be calming. If this doesn't have any effect, I've just about made up my mind to put Dude in training for his cantering issues. I just can't afford to be the one to call his bluff and see whether he really, really blows when you "get after him." If it sets him back to being a nerotic hellion, he may get to retire. I just don't have the seat to be the one to do it. I really think he's just being stubborn and could be worked through it with the right training. Sigh.

I got the weight-builder supplement for Matt. I had to mix it with apple juice to get him to eat it with his feed.

No comments: