Monday, March 17, 2008

Real Good Ride - Centered Riding

I read Centered Riding last week. I had a real good ride on Dude this weekend as a result. Right away, when I applied the principles of balance, relaxation, etc., he went forward better at the trot. He usually takes off all "one sided", but yesterday he went nicely. On the first canter he did a little head down, head shake thing, but I think that's just a quirk he has (or he wants more rein -- I don't know). But he didn't buck or whirl. Yay.

We had a good couple of jumps. I felt really "with" him. Good thing, because later, in a field we found my daughter on Matt and I, on Dude were going to jump this ditch and my daughter balked. Matt did not balk, my daughter pulled up at the last minute. Good thing I wasn't just getting in jump position and shutting my eyes this time because when Dude saw Matt stop he stopped, too. I was able to compensate and not go up on his neck. Heh!

We had some nice canters with Dude not trying to run out from under me. I started losing my right stirrup once, but I got it back without breaking the gait. We went right past the pasture of horses -- no interest from Dude this time -- didn't see the little paint mare there. Two little yearling fillies and a buckskin mare came to the fence - so cute! It was a good ride. Dude is such a great trail horse.

Bridling - no problem, saddling - same old circling. He started to move when I was mounting and I said, "Dude, let me just get ON." When I put my foot in the stirrup he settled down. As long as I wasn't tightening his cinch he didn't care. I've found in grooming him he's real ticklish in the cinch spot, too.

We got the neighbor to take a pic. I'll post it when I get it off my camera.

1 comment:

Redsmom said...

4H&H said Centered Riding is a really good book and I said: Yeah, Centered Riding - its awesome. Almost losing my right stirrup has to be from scrunching up and pinching when the canter starts. Glad I had on my long toed cowboy boots! By the end of 3 hours of riding I finally felt like my legs were back under me where they are supposed to be. I'm going to try doing some of my Tai Chi video tape before I ride next time to see if I can loosen up before I mount.