Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Responses on Mindset and Centered Riding

Yeah, I think my mindset has a lot to do with it, although I tried, when working with Dude, to remember not to hold my breath, to act casual, sing, talk, etc. but I'm sure my heart rate was up. When dealing with Matt the other day I was "all business" not coddling anybody -- just "Dude, get the hell out of the trailer as I need to load Matt now. Maybe the "all business attitude" works best. The coddling may be his cue that he has something to worry about. Hmmm.. I was so busy trying not to act nervous, that I may have clued him in a different way. Thanks for making me think about that.

Susan, Hey! What I "use" from Centered Riding seems to have amalgamated in my tiny brain as, having my legs further back and using the insides of my upper thighs as part of a 3 point seat (part of this I got from Stacy Westfall's article on bareback riding in Horse & Rider), allowing my seat bones to move with the horse at the walk -- I used to wonder why Dude walked so much slower than Matt and now he walks the same speed; weight evenly distributed in the stirrups at the trot (the ice cream melting into the bottoms of the feet visual); not pinching with my knees or thighs, staying up over a couple of beats at the trot to find my balance (I cheat by grabbing some mane while posting until I can find my balance) and something Katherine taught me which is to post slower if you want him to trot slower. I added post more gently (my word) to that. If he starts to bend and trot crooked, I know it is me that is causing it and I check my weight distribution. I am now experiencing his different trotting speeds and being able to ask for the one I want. He does a nice mellow western trot which I can sit as well.

No comments: