Friday, June 13, 2008

Cantering and Bucking Woes

4H, Thanks so much for all of your thoughts!! (She had a well-thought out comment t the previous post)

To explain about Miss Dee, she's in her 70's and she is Texas ranch bred. She's done it all including TB racing (she's tiny). I know the best riders aren't necessarily the best teachers. I know nothing about formal western riding and Miss Dee is the only game in town (except Russ Mixon - evil yelling man), so I started my daughter going to Miss Dee. Previously, my daughter has only had hunt seat lessons her whole riding life. My daughter got interested in speed classes and then so did I since it is way more relaxed and fun than the rail classes at our local club show.

However, on the way home from Miss Dee's on Wednesday, my daughter and I decided we're going to buy our own poles and barrels since we're really just paying Miss Dee the money to use her arena and equipment for an hour.

Miss Dee wasn't telling me to make him canter, I took that upon myself. I just wanted to try to make Dude canter because I wanted to "get back in the saddle" after Saturday's highjinnx at the show.

Miss Dee saw his head tossing (She said to bump him in the mouth when he shakes his head) and bucking (She said "You're just going to have to get after him").

What do I do to prevent/stop the bucking?

Okay, here's the scenario: Sometimes he takes off just fine, no buck, no problem and behaves fine, especially on his left lead canter. Sometimes on the right lead canter, throws his head down and shakes it and bucks a couple of times and then goes fine. Sometimes he gives one or two bucks and then he's fine. Sometimes he departs fine and canters a good ways, acting like all is well and then does the quick cut to the left. Sometimes, after he bucks a couple of times he starts running really fast and scares me. When I pull him in he stops completely. When we were practicing, he quit the bucking after he did one or two in each direction and proceeded to evade the bit (hackamore) and sometimes refuse to steer. He can canter indefinitely with his nose on my boot although it slows him down, some.


At the show he just kept on bucking and not just for a couple of strides. If I pull his head up hard, he just stops and there's no forward momentum at all OR like the other night, he begins to buck harder while moving out or moving sideways.

The only time I had trouble staying on was in the warmup - and then I started holding the horn (which gives me only 1 hand to control with = problem).

What could a good rider do that I can't do? A good rider would have enough coordination and skill to keep him moving forward while making him slow down. A good rider would let him run fast for awhile and not be afraid. A good rider would be ready and be able to prevent the bucking and the quick cut to the side. I felt like Charlie Brown when Lucy pulls the ball away -- I took it personally when he did the quick cut on me at the show. He hadn't done it in practice. I guess I could practice cantering on Matty, regulating speed at the canter.


As to the speed work, believe me, I'm not entering it to try to go fast. Its a very laid back local show. I'd be happy with a well-behaved pattern maintaining a canter. I was getting that about 50% of the time practicing alone, so I thought I'd go down there and give it a try at the actual show since they have poles and barrels and other people to hang out with. They do have exhibition rounds which I guess I should have entered, but I kind of wanted to put the pressure on myself to make him canter to see what he would do. I was feeling much braver before the show than I am now. I'm also going to call the University Vet School and see if they know of any Horse Chiropractors to get Dude checked because he really behaves so well at the walk and the trot. I never have any real trouble steering him or regulating speed at walk and trot. So maybe the canter is causing him pain. Its worth checking on.

2 comments:

Redsmom said...

Masquerade said: I was going to suggest chiro too. I can't go back and read all the posts but I'm wondering how he behaves at the canter on the lunge line. Is he balanced or is he all over the place. My guy can canter nicely on the lunge (not at the riding point yet) BUT if he picks up the wrong lead, or is discombobulated (sp?) he throws in a buck or two. He will also buck a bit if he gets a bit too fast. I really think it is a balance issue and he doesn't have the muscle to maintain the canter with much consistency yet. I ask and then only let him do a circle or two, bring him down to trot and then to the canter again. Transitions are a great thing for development of muscle, sidereins too once he's comfortable with them to assist him in carrying himself better. Just my two cents .

Redsmom said...

4H&H said: I am interested to know what the chiropractor says - because it *could* be a pain issue. If you read this before the chiro gets there, maybe ask if you can ride him for the man... he may be able to see if your position might be off balance or something, which could cause irritation or pain. And saddle - maybe he can check saddle fit...

You can make your own poles..... that's what I do - it's a lot cheaper. Get some coffee cans, cement, and pieces of PVC pipe. Vaseline up the ends of the poles, stick them in the can and then pour the cement mix around the pole. Twist the pole every once in a while to make sure it doesn't stick. (otherwise you may not be able to remove them, and it makes it a lot easy for storage, etc. if you can take the pole out.) Viola - instant poles. For barrels, you may be able to pick some plastic ones up for free from a local farm / feed store/ or other such business.... I love those big (free) blue plastic barrels, they're much kinder to your knees.
Miss Dee's age would explain why she didn't get on Dude, and unless she's 'robbed the cradle' it would also explain why her husband didn't either.

Does he buck more in the western or English saddle? or equally in both? If it's more in the western saddle, make sure that the saddle isn't riding down on his withers.


I don't like hacks, because unless the horse is very well trained, it's hard to get lateral movement or control. There is very little precision and you can't really do anything one-reined. Using English reining with a hack is not very effective. Any horse I've ever ridden who goes in a hack has a head tossing problem, to some degree.


If you pull his head up hard with a hack, what you are doing is causing pain..... because of the vise-like effect of the hackamore (I'm assuming you're using a mechanical hack). Hm..... I'm not sure what to suggest except for a bit change. Maybe you could ask the vet/chiro to check his mouth and see if there is any reason Dude could not carry a bit comfortably.


My lovely mare dumped me at a barrel show (the first one my mother ever went to, hahaha) by doing the buck and then cut. I was not expecting the buck, but would have been okay, except all of the sudden my horse was gone..... I was going forward, and she went left. Nice. I called her a bitch, caught her, and we did it again... I was more proactive on the next run.


Let me know what the chiro says. If you read this before he gets there, remember to ask if he'll look at his mouth. AND JAW - because I vaguely remember hearing that a jaw can become somewhat dislocated and cause some issues.