Monday, June 2, 2008

Working at the Sand Arena




Yesterday, I trailered Dude down to the sand arena again. The footing was deep, but not wet. We trotted a few times around and I thought, "Better go ahead and canter and get it over with. Started on a right lead this time, which is his bad side (I forgot). I got the full head shaking, head down, half-hearted buck that I've always gotten, but it didn't even phase me. I just rode it forward. Then I turned him on the rail at a trot and picked up the left lead going the other way. He did a little happy bucking on that one, too. Nothing major and it didn't scare me! We cantered a good bit in both directions. He and I sometimes "argue" about how much rein is too much rein. When I let him out, he wants to go too fast, in my opinion. Anyway, I got my cones (only have 2) and put them in the middle of the arena. I practiced stake race (a big figure , trying to change leads and such. He forgot to be a butt when starting on his right lead, but had trouble with a flying change from left lead to right lead. I tried to help, but we countercantered sideways a good ways with his nose practically smelling my boot. Some passes he had good steering and some passes he had none at all. I'm sure a great deal of it is me not having (regained) enough coordination yet to cue properly. I have to say this boy loves to canter. The slightest tip forward by me and I see his ear go up on that side. If I don't want it, he slows right back down. We also played WTC class, my daughter and her friend sat in the judge's box and called out changes. We're going to have to slow down that huge canter if we ever want to go in a western class. I like riding in the sand arena because he picks up his feet and collects much better. He knows he's there to work and he knows how. He needs work bending to the right. I may take him to Miss Dee's this week to a class although I can't afford it. I better do it now while we're both injury free and there are no life impediments in the way. Dude really enjoyed his hosing off afterwards. My daughter was on camera duty but forgot to take any pics until the hosing.




Will post those and will have to get pics at the show!!

No comments: