Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Dude Went to the Chiro today!!

I'm excited and encouraged by the chiropractor's assessment and treatment! Dr. B. is a vet and chiropractor. It turns out he also does acupuncture!

Dr. B. had me move Dude out and watched him move. I told Dr. B about Dude's cinchiness and Dr. B showed me exactly where his ribs were locked up and causing a muscle spasm on the off side. Dr. B worked on his opposite shoulder and leg and then showed me how the spasms stopped! This may be the answer to the saddling/girthing problems!! Dr. B adjusted Dude's whole spine and worked a lot on his pelvic and croup area. He found an injury, probably from a kick, on the back of Dude's hip. I had noticed a strange bulge there and wondered what it was - tell the truth, I thought it was cellulite. Then, Dr. B went and prepared the acupuncture treatment. Meanwhile, Dude had gotten a very relaxed look in his eye -- I think he had gotten some relief already! For the acupuncture, Dr. B used injections of Vita. B12 ; the site of the injection acts like an acupuncture needle while the injection is being absorbed. Dr. B told me to give Dude today and tomorrow off and then he'll probably be able to move much better for a few weeks -- maybe from now on - but may need to be readjusted next time Dr. B comes to town at the end of July. If Dude is anything like I am, he'll need periodic adjustments! I love my chiropractor.

For those with anatomy knowledge, here's what the report said: Chiropractic: Both carpus posterior, right 1st rib posterior, sacral apex right, pelvis decrease motion left - adjusted. Acupuncture: pelvic trigger point bilaterally, GB 27 point on right. Injury to R biceps - appears to be kick that cut muscle/fascia.

This Vet/Chiro flies in from Colorado! I'm just thrilled that I got to get him to see Dude and so soon after I had decided the behavior problems must be a pain issue. I regret that I didn't get this done sooner, but I never could find any listings for an Equine Chiro around here. Now and again I would think about calling the vet school or the race track and ask about it, but I ended up finding one through a member of this board - so yay for FHOTD!!! I mean, every damn article you read about training says to rule out pain as an issue first, but I would think, that Dude has been doing this for as long as anyone (Katherine, Mar) can remember. I feel like a bad horse mom!! But now I feel great for getting this done!! I also suspect that it will be awhile before he gets out of the habits he acquired from having the pain. I don't expect an overnight change, but I look forward to improvement!! I was afraid the Vet would say there was nothing wrong. I'm sorry Dude has had to suffer for so long, but I'm glad he's not "crazy" and "bad!"

1 comment:

Redsmom said...

4H&H said: You are a good horse mom!

I'm glad that the session was successful! Keep us updated on how your next ride goes.

Is there anything that you can do or check in between visits?