Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Clinic and Show Prep

I'm finally getting to go to a clinic with actual (and mechanical) cows! I'm so excited. Since its been so hot, I am taking Queenie (7 yr old mare) as well as Matt (23 year old gelding). Yesterday afternoon, it was surprisingly cool, so I took Matt out for an easy workout, planning to take Queenie this a.m. Matt was good. I figured out one reason he used to balk at the gate to the big pasture was because, duh, its a gate, which he associates with barrel running. Yesterday he went through the gate after one pop with the rein tails and started loping. LOL. "It not a barrels, Matty, silly."

I think I know the answer to this quandary, because it makes the most sense. Has Matt slowed down, or I have I gotten better at riding his lope? I'm staying with him completely and not banging his poor old back at all. I don't even reach for the horn with him anymore. Good old Matty has taught the umpteenth hundred person to lope. I wonder how many more? My grandchildren, I can only hope! Anyway, it wouldn't make sense that he has slowed down, so it must be me. I can't wait to run barrels on him again next time. But not this weekend.

This morning, we had a roundup, but more on that later. This morning I actually got my daughter to get out of bed and come ride. I saddled Queenie for her and she started going around the yard. I figured to take Matty along for a walk. Poor Matty, He just went last night. But we only walked. One tiny lope at this place that is nice and flat. It was hot. I would have died without my hat.

E couldn't get Queenie to lope in the yard. I tried to explain that once the death trot has begun the transition to the lope is much harder and get her to slow down first. I got on and showoed her. Queenie was being fractious this morning. My daughter got her to lope in the yard and then we went for the hot walk. There was deep mud, so it was a workout for them, just walking through that.

Of course Dude has to enter the picture. When we got back I got my daughter to wash and put Matt away while I changed the stirrups to take Queenie back out. Somehow, at the gate, Dude escaped. Matt followed. I tried to chase Dude down with Queenie and to herd him back. He evaded and ran farther away - just onto Mr. Bob's nice grass lot, but still, not coming home. So much for the roundup. I headed back to get a bucket of feed. Meanwhile, my daughter got Matt and brought him back and dude followed. Then, I went out and gave Queenie a couple or 3 good lopes. She is slowing down, too. I can stay with her pretty well, but I hold the horn. We worked on transitions. She will do okay in WP, I hope. She does best with "Ho" and then pull for her stop. She pulls her back legs under and snorts when she stops fast. Its so cute. I hope I get a good clean stop on her in reining.

I don't know what she will do with a cows. She has probably worked cows before, as she seems to have a good western foundation, but she is a teeny bit skittish around new things, so if a cow runs at her she may freak. We "fishtailed" once coming around the lake in a slick spot and I stayed on, so I think I can sit whatever she hands out - I hope.

I haven't ridden anybody in the Hereford Tex Tan. I guess I will try it on Matty around the yard and see if I like it. I have the little Royal King for Queenie and my behind fits in it pretty good. We rode in our synthetics today.

I'm getting excited about riding Dude again one day. Because of my improvement, I think I will be able to handle him. We will see.

No comments: