Sunday, July 5, 2009

Training for the Show Next Week

I had a great weekend of training. Two nice rides were all I could get in, but I learned a lot about Queenie. Also, Matt worked so well! Saturday morning, I got up at 5:30 and drank coffee for an hour. Then I saddled Queenie. I used the Royal King leather saddle to keep breaking it in and because I think it fits her the best. We went to the big field with the lakes – my Gosh, it was a beautiful morning! There were ducks swimming around and the light shimmered on the water like diamonds. We trotted, then loped a little. She kicked out at first, but settled in. I took her to the far side of the second lake where there is a straight strip of good ground. I sat down, got hold of the horn, let the reins out and kissed for the canter. She flew. Her back end comes way under her when she moves and with that short back, it is a completely different sensation from riding Matt. She likes running and, except for the whine of air through my air flow helmet, it was all but silent as this was a nothing for her to run and run. We ran up and down that strip a few times. She was stopping okay and not tossing her head. It was not until I had been back for hours that I realized it had not even occurred to me to put a tie down on her. I had her in the curb with the broken mouthpiece that Matty runs barrels in. I wanted to get her used to something besides the gag since a gag would not be allowed at the Stock Horse show. Last time I took her to the LHSA show, I tried her in the d-ring snaffle and it didn't work so well. This (the black and stainless fancy curb) is better. She is neck reining now as if she had been doing it all along. I don't know whether she learns that fast, or if she had forgotten and now it is coming back to her, but I only worked with her on neck reining about 3 times and now she has it. She really gets under herself when she stops. I think she will make a reiner in the long run! She also was really moving in her spins in the field. She was crossing over in front and really hopping over with her fronts. It was so different from the way Matt does then that I was surprised. Her spins were far from elegant, but surprisingly good. On the way back, we were walking along and when she caught sight of the deep hole next to the culvert bridge she started about 2 steps to one side. In contrast, I pointed the hole out to Matty later and he breezed on past it like "Yeah, so what?" After I brought Queenie back and washed her down, I saddled Matt and took him around the block and then into the field. He balked for a second and then, when I swatted him, he took off and loped half way down the side of the first lake. I just let him go as fast as he wanted and stop when he wanted. He was feeling good and I enjoyed letting him run. I'm so comfortable loping Matty, now. It's a blast. We worked on walk, trot, halt, back up, etc., took another run on the other side of the second lake and then I brought him back at as slow a walk as I could get him to do. He was still hot as a bugger when I brought him in. I hosed and hosed and walked and walked him and he got okay. His big veins stand out all over his neck and chest when he's hot. He enjoyed his shower immensely; even letting me wet his face without a fuss.

This morning I got a much later start, didn't start until about 9:00 a.m. It was probably 80 by then. I worked Queenie in the back pen. Walk, trot, extended trot, walk, lope; for the pleasure class in which she is entered. She did so well. And after running around the pen fast about 3 times, the combination of the heat and settling in had her doing a nice controlled lope. Aiming her at the fence and asking for the "Ho" about 10 feet out helped with hthe stop. She steered well and did not toss her head. I worked her on the fence a little, doing rollbacks. I know Miss Dee taught her that during her month of training. Before this morning, I was thinking I would have to send Queenie back to Miss Dee to put a rate on her lope, but she settled in and worked great this morning; rating and steering great. I think the tie down had begun to aggravate her so its best without it now. I am beginning to think that if I can work her a few more times this week, Queenie may actually be able to compete in the reining class at the show. She's entered in reining because Matty just can't do that much loping without his breathing getting bad. However, today she spun fine to the right, but would not spin to the left for anything. I had to tow-hand her and kick her hip over. I gave her a chance to do it right after than and she still wouldn't. She started fussing and hopping to the side (like a little "Dude" action). I started to get mad, but then I just stopped riding for a minute, calmed down and regrouped. She still begrudged me, but performed sullenly. I made her do some other work, which she did pretty willingly, before we went back to the "shady reward spot" in the middle of my pen. I don't know what that was about, but I'll put her back in the Royal King saddle next time and see if it helps. By the way, my new barrel saddle came in the mail yesterday. It is 16 and my behind actually fits in it. I LOVE it and rode it on both horses this morning. I noticed the new barrel saddle has a worn spot in the fleece on the left wither hollow. I felt it, and there doesn't seem to be anything sharp or protruding under there, but that's the only difference in her from Saturday.

My plan for the Stock Horse show is to save Matty for the cow work ; cutting and working cow horse. The reining part of WCH has a very abbreviated pattern, so he should be able to do it. Depending on the side of the arena, the running of the cow may not be too bad. I tuned up Matty's show trot and show lope in case I switch him to the pleasure class and Queenie to the cow work. Because it was nearing noon when I worked him, it was probably getting up on the 90's. We took it very slow and he showed me his show jog and his show lope. I don't know if I could get him to go that slow any other time, but it worked today! LOL. I spent a lot of time working on cues and halts with him and rewarding him in the shade spot. He cooled out a lot better in the pen. When I take Matty away alone, he pulls for home at a working walk that just doesn't cool him out. He has improved from piaffing all the way home, frequently breaking into a trot, when I first started riding him.

Long story made longer. I feel so lucky and blessed to have two well trained and intelligent horses to ork with for the upcoming show. Can't wait to see what Queen does with cows. I would think she has seen them before – she used to live on the levee and may have been worked on cows a little. This week – its get ready for the show.

Will ride Queenie in the RK and Matt in the new American (its cordoba with a black leather top). I don't know if I'll even ride the Textan; the weather is just too hot to fool with that giant thing right now.

No comments: