Friday, July 24, 2009

Don't Blame the Horse Till You Know the Whole Story

I fell off Queenie day before yesterday. It didn't hurt. Turns out she had lost a shoe and stumbled, throwing me off balance and then she jumpy-jumped out of fear. All was pretty calm and I got back on and rode home. But, I don't bounce like I used to. All my fault. I knew she was due for shoes - had already called the farrier! I just got in a hurry and didn't check or even pick her feet. I completely forgot about it. Haste makes waste. I caught myself with my left arm and its a little sore, but no harm done. I'm kind of glad because the last time I fell it was catastrophic, so it was good to have a little slide off with no harm done to take away the fear. Oh, and I also blame the Hereford Textan with its SLICK seat. I've gotten spoiled by my suede seats.

So, while its important to punish right away when the situation warrants it, I'm glad I didn't because it was not so much a bucking off as a pain, fear, startled by bad riding thing which I realized once I looked at her manicure-needing hoof.

I could tell she was a little puzzled. "Why you fall off, Granmaw? My foot hurts." Poor girl. And I learn every day. Don't wait to call the farrier unless you wish to court disaster.

No comments: