Sunday, October 28, 2007

10/28/07 cont'd

I started to get frustrated and I said, "Dude, don't you want to go for a ride? It will be fun!" He seemed to understand my tone. He relaxed a little. Shortly thereafter, he stood for the bridle. He did a lot of walking in his circle for the saddling, but I finally got one of the long billets throught the buckle. I had to sit down and rest for awhile. He watched with interest as I drank my diet coke and and caught my breath. I offered a carrot piece and he took forever to step forward and get it. I resumed saddling, giving much praise and carrot peices and led him over to the little chair. He was reluctant to approach it, but finally did.

I mounted by reaching across to pull on a fence post to help mount (still not putting a foot in the stirrup to mount, just sort of sliding on). We walked around and I tightened the girth some more. We had a nice ride walking and trotting. I just couldn't bring myself to try the canter (chicken!!). I got bored in the back pasture, so got my daughter to let us out the gate and went on a mini trail ride around the front yard, down the street and back and over to the neighbor's and back. Encountered 2 dogs -- one merited a half-hearted kick. I got him to stand near the trampoline while the girls jumped up and down -- little to no alarm. I went to look at the ditch I want to cross to get to a trail behind our house and he didn't like that. He backed up and carried on a little. I wasn't going to cross the ditch, I was just looking to see if it had a low place anywhere. He just didn't want to stand there while I looked at the ditch -- strange.

Came back and trotted around the front yard. It was fun for me and I hope it was for him, too.

Sigh. I don't know that I am making much progress with getting Dude to change, but I got him to ride without any drama, so I call it a win. He was better at haltering. I'm encouraged to keep working on him.

No comments: