Saturday, October 27, 2007

Dude Intimidates the Pony Party Riders

10/28;Today was my daughter's birthday party. Matt was her present for her birthday, but we had friends over, hers and mine, and rode the horses. Dude was okay with bridling, it took awhile, but we got there with scratchings and carrots. I got interrupted with arriving guests and Jeanine combed out his mane entirely and petted him all over his head while I was off greeting. When I got back, I got J to take all the kids and people over to the other side of the paddock and get them started riding. I took my time saddling Dude and got him saddled with the usual walking around. It took some patience and carrots, but his circle was small and not too energetic, so I was able to follow. I put my leg cast thing back on because my foot's been hurting. After I got him saddled, I led him around because I had to go get a bridle for the others and stuff so I just took Dudie around with me. When the time came I got a chair and tried to get on him. He moved around a little, but then I laid across his back first and then felt him relax. Then, I remembered I probably wanted my helmet so I had to lead him around to go get it. When I got back I got on him without putting my foot in the stirrup == just kind of bare-back slid a leg over. He walked a little, but not fast. I got my stirrups and then tightened the girth some more. Then we walked and trotted and were fine. J rode him, too. She said he did the head shake with her, but I had warned her so she was wise to him. Surprisingly, the kids didn't want to ride long and we unsaddled pretty soon. No one wanted to ride Dude. Just as he craftily planned. LOL. Later, I worked on haltering him with a rope halter. He let me put it on his nose. He wasn't going to go for it this time, so I ended on just letting it rest on his nose. I didn't have any carrots so I left it there with some scratchings and praise. Katharine comes tomorrow, so maybe I'll lope.

No comments: