Thursday, August 7, 2008

It is So Hot

Its hot and wet. And not in a good way. We get a T-storm about every afternoon, so it is staying very wet by the gate. The path to the run-in is sunken and water stands in it. All the sand I put there has gone to mysterious depths. Its pea gravel next, I promise. I am watching carefully for thrush. Here's a link to a page with healthy hooves. Dude's and Matt's frogs look like #4 on that page; kinda black and peely, but not smelly or gooey.

http://www.thehorseshoof.com/gallery_healthy.html

I want to clean out the run-in and start again with pea gravel - at least a yard of it. I'll have to do a little bit every day to avoid heat stroke.

There's a "show" Saturday. We're only going to the timed events, but I'm determined to take Dude and run him in some "exhibitions" (untimed, schooling runs). Can't wait to see if he bucks... again. My trick to beat the heat is to get up real early, load the truck up and bathe the horses. Then, I stay inside until time to load the horses at about 3:00 p.m.

No comments: