Friday, August 15, 2008

"Lather, Rinse, Repeat"



Wow, Dude is getting as sway backed as Matty! I hope his topline improves with this latest round of conditioning. Anyway...
Tied Dude to the tree with the rope halter again last night. I watched him through the window. No drama, but slow, determined escape attempts. He slowly pulled on the rope in each direction, testing the pressure. He fooled with the knot and flipped the rope around with his nose. He never got away, though, or even reached the grass. Plus, Matty was roaming around loose, eating grass. After about 1/2 hour, I went out and started picking his hooves. On the back right he stepped toward me again! That is so totally unacceptable! I pushed him over by poking him in the hip several times until he knew I meant business. Then, he offered up the foot the next time I reached for it.

I let him loose. I bridled and saddled (about per usual) and rode around some, doing walk, trot, halt and back, transitions. He was "bad" once, backing up out of the front gate corridor. So, I made him go in a tight circle and then go back in there. He startled a little at his shadow as it got dark, but continued on bravely. Dude will go almost completely off leg cues at the walk. I'm a little less coordinated in cuing him at the trot. I cued him to do some impressive spins. His power steering is excellent in this Western bridle and bit! I don't know if I ever mentioned this, but Dude "has" to do 4 full body snorts the first time you trot him every single time. It really makes his back go up, so I think its a good stretch for him. I'm enjoying getting him ready for the show not this Saturday, but the next.

No comments: