Saturday, August 16, 2008

New Bridle, Tied and Rode

I looked and looked for new bridles on eBay and finally just got a good headstall at the feed store today. The best one was latigo colored with brass buckles, but has ties so silver can be added later. Turns out I have 4 big "silver" tie on conchos that I got with my bead making stuff that are too big for necklaces and are going to be perfect on the new bridle for shows, yet removable for every day and cleaning.

When I got home and started fitting the new bridle, Dude was a butt, so I tied him to the tree with his rope halter. Then, I went out repeatedly for fittings and bridled him while he was tied! This is a major step forward! He stepped toward me once at first, but I pushed his butt over and he didn't try it again. Matt was in the pen where he had run to escape when I came out with the bridle. Dude ended up staying tied and getting bitted about 6 times! Then, I shortened my stirrups on the Western saddle and let Dude loose for saddling. I didn't want to push him too much in one day, but I foresee a day when I can saddle him tied. Thank goodness he respects the rope halter. Who knew? (Well, Jeff H., the local trainer, told me to get a rope halter at the last show, so he knew ... LOL). We had a nice little ride around the yard, doing steering, at walk and trot. then, I got my daughter to come home from her friend's and go with me on Matt around the block. I worked on a nice sitting jog on Dude. The weather really cooperated -- there's a thunder storm coming, so it really cooled off, but held off long enough. On the way home we passed my daughter's friend's house and she got off and I ponied Matt home! That's the first time I've tried that and it worked perfectly. Matt cooperated and did exactly what Dude did. I love my old, broke horses!

No comments: