Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Dude gets a Warm Blanket

Tonight it is supposed to dip into the 30's (F) so I got a blanket for Dude today. I called Katharine to ask whether Dude has ever had a blanket on before. Thankfully, he has. I let him smell it first and he seemed to recognize and accept it (same brand from same store where I got Matt's a few weeks back, so probably smells the same). Rubbed him with it a little so he wouldn't be startled and then put it on with no problems. At first I had the strap that is like a girth so loose that it was a danger, so I got brave and worked on tightening it. He turned his head and stared hard at what I was doing, but was munching hay and didn't move. He was very docile for the blanketing! It is such a nice night with no mosquitoes biting for the first time in forever, that I stood out and watched him munch hay for a long time. He let me pet his face, touch and scratch his ears and was very sweet. He's never let me touch his ears willingly before. I stroked his ears, scratched his neck and he was letting me love on him. That is new. It is encouraging!! He does seem to greet me more happily and less indifferently lately, too. I think he is settling in here more and more.

I am reading That Winning Feeling by Jane Savoie. It is very inspiring.

3 comments:

Redsmom said...

bmat35 said: WOW what a step!!
Now just remember that time next time he does something you dont like!

I had an idea about Dude and being saddled, have you ever tried this, take your time to get it on him, then lead him around and then come back and take it off. Do ride him and only walk around for about 5-10 mins. He probably had a bad experience somewhere along the track when he was ridden. And he's associating the saddle with what ever happened.

Anyway, Keep Going sounds like your doing great!

Redsmom said...

Susan in Idaho said: When you finish it, let me know if you like the book. I am trying to come up with a reading list for the long winter evenings that are just around the corner and could use recommendations. And, thanks for the compliment. Anyone can understand behavior; it's a science like any other, with behavioral principles that can be memorized and applied. Most people on this list, including you, understand behavior too. Sometimes the way we've learned it and express it are different is all.

Redsmom said...

Susan, I can already tell you the book is worth reading. It has helped me already and I'm only halfway through!! Get it!! Amazon.com one-click is my friend, especially for winter!