Monday, November 5, 2007

On Reflection

On reflection, I'm feeling kind of pessimistic about Dude, today. But, I have to remember, I have only been at it for a little while in comparison to the 17 years he's been alive. I feel confident that we will get through the saddling and loading and maybe even the tying issues.

By the way, I have found that if you take Dude up to a fence, put the reins over the fence, then unsnap the reins from the bridle for safety, he thinks he's tied and will stand there for at least 20 minutes to half an hour before he tries to start wandering away. Its just the hitting the end of the rope that freaks him. It works long enough to run into the house and use the potty!!

Anyway, I am not so confident that I will be able to work through the riding issues. I am trying to look at it from the point of view that no one fell off, no one got hurt, he isn't that bad, I've seen and ridden a lot worse, but, I'm older now and the ground looks very hard from up there. As I'm writing this I am planning, though. When I get him where I want him loading, I can take him to the free sand arena and work on his other issues there where a fall won't be so dangerous. Okay, I feel better now. But any encouragement would help!!

3 comments:

Redsmom said...

Bmat85 said:

Righto!!
You need some inspiration! Whatever style/method you use go and get a dvd and watch it then you'll think yep i can do that!

Or get a few, maybe you need a change of scenary so to speak?

Good luck!

Redsmom said...

4H&H said: If you don't feel like working him, don't. Just brush him (remember that little voice!) - it may be relaxing for both of you.... just stick your nose in his mane, and feed him some yummies, and enjoy being around him.

I agree, get a DVD or video and watch it. Your local library may even have some videos (our carries John Lyons and a few other trainers, and it's a teeny-weeny little library). I don't know about you, but every time I watch a training video, or read a book, I want to get right out there and work a horse.... heck, every time I see a horse on TV, or down the road, or .... I want to ride. It may give you a new direction to try, maybe even the idea to concentrate on something totally different for a while, and give you both a chance to chill out.

How long have you had him? I don't think very long - give yourselves both a break! You've got a lot to work around, but look at it as "bonding" or fun, and not work. Heck - you have the horses to enjoy them, don't you?!

Redsmom said...

4H&H also said: And, one more thought, some people may laugh, but - you could spend a bit of time doing some "bombproofing" work with him. You don't have to do anything major, but get a book (Rick Pelicano ?sp? has one that interesting) or something, and just have fun. It may help build his confidence and trust in you, which can translate to riding, also. Consider it "playing" not work - it could help create a bond between the two of you.