Tuesday, November 6, 2007

More Cowboy suggestions I Won't be Taking

I talked to Jeanine tonite and from what she says, the story of Dude's behavior at the canter on Sunday got stretched into that there was some kind of "rodeo" and made Jeanine ask me if Lexie got hurt. No, Lexie didn't get hurt. Like I said, we both almost came off, but we didn't. It wasn't bucking, it was the fast cutting side to side in a dressage saddle that caused that. Anyway, Pedro talked to somebody and they talked to Jeanine and now she is trying to talk me into hobbling Dude That's a NO. I said, Jeanine, if he hasn't improved at all after a FEW MONTHS of me working with him, I MIGHT consider that.

Jeez, what is with other people's impatience about MY horse? Its not like they have to saddle him for me. I get it done myself now that my foot is better. So why should they care if he wants to walk in a circle while he gets saddled? As to the riding part, well, I just started working on that, plus, I'm not so comfortable at the canter right now myself. I know what will help besides going to the sand arena: When I get Matt in shoes and no longer lame I can practice cantering on him until I get more comofortable with it and then I will be more ready to anticipate Dude's tricks.

I'm so happy Matt will be okay. Matt is my daughter's horse and as long as he is not having behavior problems, the rest is just for me to work out in time. I wouldn't care if I never got to ride as long as my daughter gets to and she is happy.

5 comments:

Redsmom said...

4H&H Said: Re. Dude walking in circles while you saddle him.

You are right, why should they care? If it doesn't really bother you, then it doesn't matter if it bothers them. You have a lot to overcome with him, and if he is more comfortable walking around (ie. feels like he's not trapped), then fine - you may find that once his trust in you grows, and he doesn't feel like he needs an "escape" that he gradually stops doing it. That's not a huge issue that really needs to be resolved immediately. Give him time. Why create a stressful situation by demanding he stand still when you have other issues that are more important?

I love working with horses who have trust issues... and any help I can give you, I'm happy to.

Redsmom said...

Thanks, 4 horses, Yeah, I don't think hobbling him will help gain his trust. I did have him standing almost still, just dancing in place a little, at his old barn. He will settle in again, I know he will. Probably he will revert to old behaviors for awhile whenever he is stressed. Thanks for the offer of help!! I will take you up on it.

Redsmom said...

Susan in Idaho said:

Wanted to comment on trailer loading using treats. I think the practice is perfectly acceptable. Animals work to earn reinforcement or avoid punishment. They don't work "for us" or to "please us." (When I see someone who claims their animal works "for them" I usually see an animal working to avoid punishment FROM them).

Reinforcement can be a release of pressure, a treat, or any other thing that the animal wants and will work to earn. A good animal trainer will identify what is reinforcing for that particular animal, and will use that to train behaviors.

Sounds like you are just a step ahead of whoever told you that you shouldn't use food to obtain trailer loading behavior, because you found what the horse would work for and have used it to train Dude to load.

Redsmom said...

Susan, thanks, as always, for your encouragement. You are so knowledgable about animal behavior. I'm not sure where I picked up the idea that food for trailer loading is bad. I can't remember. On another subject, I see that clicker on the kitchen table every time I pass and I am going to take it out again and play with Dude. Time has been going by so fast. That's why I like this log because I want to state how much and how often I have worked with Dude so I can look back. Thanks to all who are reading and commenting.

Redsmom said...

bmat85 said:

Hi, i think the only way that treats for loading can be bad is if the horse starts to rely on them or expect them everytime the horse has to go on a float.

I used a bit of feed in a bucket to get my filly onto a float and that worked well, i gradually got her to go onto a float with just the bucket up the front (she'd be curious enough to find out if anything was in it.)

Yes I did have trouble if i had no feed or no bucket but then it only took about 5-10mins to get her to walk on.