Saturday, November 10, 2007

Impatience

Thanks to all for the saddle fitting advice. Nobody in the corral likes the cheap western saddle, we've established that. LOL. However, I will observe how my Wintec all purpose does on Dude. I know he likes it better because he will be tense and then when I set the Wintec on him he lets out his breath and relaxes, like "oh, THAT saddle is okay." But he still doesn't like the girth.

In fun news, I got a new boyfriend and we put him on Matt (on whom Keratex is working WONDERS on the hooves). He rode really well. Most people say they can ride, but are know nothing yahoos, but R really rode well and asked me for advice on how to sit the canter better .

On the impatience side, my new boyfriend got to see me lose my patience with Dude... I had already had a sort of bad day what with driving all over to pick up horses for the team penning only to stop at the feed store and find out team penning was canceled last night (GRRH!!!). We came back over here to ride with darkness falling (I hate that!). We got Dude saddled, with much walking around, but then he would not stand still for me to mount. I walked Dude out to get my lunge line out of the truck and found it was so tangled up it would take too long to get it untangled before it got dark. Meanwhile, Dude set back on the reins I was holding and pulled away (Arrgh). He didn't go anywhere, just acted like a jack ass (I know he can't help it). I got so mad I just put him in the paddock, took off the reins and walked AWAY. I threw my helmet into the tack shed and went into the house. Later, I went back and helped Lexie get on him. She had to back him up on the ground a bit and be firm with him, not mean, but firm like you are not going to act spoiled and you are going to stand still. He did, finally. We both got on him with no mounting block. She rode him and then I rode him, but it was pitch black dark by then. I was thinking about it later and I know it was a bad time to try to ride him.

It is never a good idea to try to work with Dude when I am in a hurry. Also, I was frustrated already from the team penning pony pick-up ride around in 5 p.m. traffic fiasco. But also, I was disappointed because when I think I have Dude straightened out on a behavior, he will revert to it and that makes me feel angry with him. At least I walked away and took it out on my helmet. Poor helmet. I feel like being a whiney baby and saying "I want a horse I can just saddle up and ride and enjoy." Sigh. Dude stays here no matter what, but he is looking more and more like he will get waht he wants, which is to be a retired pasture pet. Sigh.

No comments: