Sunday, November 11, 2007

Dude Trail Ride

Today was a completey new and better day with Dude! My new boyfriend and I decided to take Matt and Dude for a trail ride around the neighborhood. I got him saddled on Matt first and then tackled the dude scnario... Bridling was excellent - no trouble much at all. Saddling was okay - slow walk in a circle, but slow enough that I could eaisly grab the girth from underneath and get it buckled. I decided to mount from the ground and he wanted to back up. So, I backed him up quite a few feet in an authoritative manner. Then, I gave him a chance to stand still. Not ready, backing up. So, I backed him up again. Gave him a chance, tried to turn his back end away from me. So, I pushed his back end around in a circle for a few steps and tried to mount again. Backed up. So, I backed him up. This time he stood perfectly still for me to mount. I had been so intent I had forgotten to take off my walking cast and put my boot on. So, I got off and did that. When I went to mount that time he was still. Hoo-Ray. R and I went out to the main entrance of the subdivision and around to the trail I have been dying to try. We got through the small ditch with no problems and through another larger ditch. We went a good 500 yards, though and encountered a big steep cross ditch I had not known would be there, so we had to turn back. But it was a nice ride together anyway. Dude went along willingly and nicely so long as he knew Matt was with him. It was altogether very enjoyable and just the kind of thing I have been wanting to do ever since I brought the horses home. So, today I am glad to have my horsie and he was everything I want him to be. Yay!!!!

3 comments:

Redsmom said...

bmat85 said: Wow, thats great! nothing better when things go as close to plan as possible!

Did you realize that you probably put out a more positive vibe to him? and he realised that nothing bad was goint to happen when you got on and off and back on???

I dare say he would act the same with the saddling scenario.- sorry to say it again.

anyway, Good Work!!

Redsmom said...

Susan in Idaho said: Redsmom, that's great! Keep up the good work. If you read back through your log it is apparent that you are making good progress. And, congrats on finding a horsie boyfriend They're the best kind.

Redsmom said...

Grassland Farm said: Susan In Idaho is right! Guys who like horses, and have patience with them, are the best.

When I get exasperated with any animal, I leave the barn and go get some coffee or go shopping or go to work...I will never win a wrestling match with the sheep or a chicken or my colt....or the cats or dogs or birds.