Monday, November 19, 2007

Dude is Lonely

Sunday my daughter left for horse camp, taking Matt with her to spend 3 nights. My boyfriend (yay!!) helped me load Matt. We took the center divider out of the little trailer and Matt slant loaded himself and pulled great like that! He was happy and did not kick or stomp or fuss.

Where we took Matt was the barn where he used to live for 10 years before I bought him. He whinnied to all his friends when we turned into the driveway! He seemed quite pleased to be cross-tied in his old barn and prepped for class. I headed back with the empty trailer.

When I pulled up at the house, Dude was calling pitifully at the gate. He was upset that Matt did not come back in the trailer. He called and called, but he did not pace or kick the fence. I fed him and sat out there with him for awhile. Every time a car would pass on the road he would stare at it hopefully and then look sad when it did not stop and bring back his Matt. He quit crying and slept about 4 hours. At about 1:30 a.m., he started calling again so I went out and fed him an apple and petted him. He'll let me touch his ears for an apple (LOL). He didn't call anymore and I went back to bed.

This morning he called a little and I went out to feed him about 7. I broke the brand new round bale which I am keeping under a shed outside the horse pasture and doling out as needed, but it is better hay than my old stuff so that should make Dude feel better. He wasn't pacing or calling when I left for work. I hope he will not be too lonely until I can get back home. Poor Dude :-(

2 comments:

Redsmom said...

Grassland Farm said: Dude has you!

Redsmom said...

bmat85 said: Awww, now that he's really showing some emotion heres your chance to REALLY bond with you! Play some games with him, give him an extra long grooming, go for a ride- even if in the arena, anything else you could think of that he likes.

Sounds like he's really coming along!